Skip to main content

Magazine Creation - Music - LiveGUITAR



For the creation of the magazine we have been asked to do, we had the choice of a lifestyle magazine or music. With being a guitar player myself and having a huge interest in the rock and roll world, I decided to do music as it would be a lot easier for me to do and understand. 

I chose the masthead name of Live Guitar, simply because the target audience is for those individuals who enjoy the guitar music industry and those who live through their passion for guitars with the way they look, sound, play and who plays them. I can say this from personal experience from myself. 

MY OWN PICTURES:
We had to produce the magazine 100% on our own. That meant no teaming up and no images from anywhere else apart from the ones we have taken ourselves as homework. As this was a music magazine focusing on the topic of guitars, it was very useful that I had my own guitars on my wall at home. The guitar featured in an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, which is one the highest range Epiphone guitars that you can get before going to the well known Gibson. Another benefit of being a guitar player, is that we, as a community, like to experiment with different sounds and get various tones from our instrument. This is possible through the use of effect pedals. You can get a distorted sound to a funky/clean tone to recording your chords to solo over with a looping pedal. With having my own guitars and pedals, I used these to create the two main articles of the magazine, in which were both featured on the magazine's front cover. 


Image.jpeg
Me and Guitar #1

Image.jpeg
Me and Guitar #2

Image.jpeg
Me and Guitar #3

Image.jpeg
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro

Image.jpeg
Boss Over Drive OD-3 Pedal
Fender Amp
Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction Vinyl
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Vinyl
Me playing an Ibanez Guitar
Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion I&II  Poster

Image.jpeg
Boss Loop Station RC-1 Pedal
This image is all me! For my Media GCSE, We had to complete a music promotion project. I pretended to be the huge rock band Guns N' Roses, so I Photoshopped myself in different clothes together to create a band picture. I brought this picture back as it is already made and nothing is wrong with it. It simply portrays the look of a Rock Band.













THE FRONT COVER:
For the front cover, I wanted the focus on one thing, that being the Guitar. This shows that this is the main focus of that edition and the focus of the project. I have my own guitars, being a guitar player, so I took a picture of the guitar and brought it into Photoshop. I added a little shadow behind it which also brought a little bit more of a gradient on the background. 

The second most important feature of the magazine cover is the masthead. For a guitar magazine, I like the name 'LiveGUITAR'. This is because you can have two connotations and meaning of it, with the word 'Live' or 'Live'. One meaning is that you are there live witnessing the guitars your looking at jump out at you, hence the reason why I have also included a red dot for the dot on the 'I' in guitar. The other way I have interpreted the 'Live' is that the reader or yourself is living the guitar way of life. This will ultimately aim towards the people or play and live on the guitars that they play and own. 

I also added another blimp on the cover. This shows the reader straight away that there is more than one story and article magazine. I have also added it due to the fact that effect pedals range a lot and there is a lot of speculation on which one to get first, so having it on the front page of the magazine will entice readers to buy as they may be wanting to know which one is the best and what to get first. For the picture, I simply used my own picture of my own Overdrive pedal by Boss rather than just having text.




THE CONTENTS PAGE:
First of all, I chosen this font for the contents page title as it 

For the contents, the main purpose of the creation was to include other articles and stories that were not used on the front cover. As the visualisation shows, there is a picture of a guitar being played as soon as you see the contents page. I have included a picture of me playing the guitar, but cropped it so the main focus is on the guitar. This is the biggest article on there as it is the main focus of the magazine, hence the reason why it is on the front cover of the magazine. 

The other articles that are also featured on are the other features available in this edition. I included the NAMM show because to guitarists, that is the place where you want to go. It is a worldwide guitar show, based in America , however guitar companies from all over the world, including the big guns of Gibson and Fender, come and show off their latest stock of guitars. As we had to get the images ourselves and not use internet assistance, I took to Photoshop. It was simple to re-create. All I done was type 'The' 'NAMM' 'Show', coloured and positioned them similar to the original logo, brought it on a slant on Free Transform pressing CTRL and dragging the corners. I then went onto the lighter blue part. using the Pen Tool, I created a triangle, selected it (marching ants) and filled it in with a lighter blue. Following that, went back onto the layer of the words 'The NAMM Show', right clicked and selected 'Create Clipping Mask'. This brought the lighter blue insider the words without showing the rest of the triangle outside of the letters. 


Image result for namm show logo
Original NAMM show logo

My Version

I also had other articles such as what the next guitar purchase could be, The effect pedals that will make an improvement. The fact I have included all of these other articles will convey the traditional code and conventions of a rock music magazine and allows people to read more of the magazine, rather than just the article covering the Les Paul. 

At the bottom of the page, to make it look more of a legitimate looking magazine and contents, i have included text where it says to subscribe to the magazine page on the internet. I made an internet link where readers can go and see the extra news and competitions available. i have done this as I have personally subscribed to other guitar magazines online and frequently enter any competitions where I can gain free guitar gear worth hundreds, instead of spending it. 




THE DOUBLE-PAGE SPREAD:
For the DPS, I focused on the main story which is on the cover. That being the Les Paul guitar in which I own myself. The layout for this simple. What the visualization states (Posted on blogger earlier than this), I have made the picture of the guitar cover most of the double pages. In the gaps of the pages, where I have not put the title or any guitar, I added text. There are two ways on how I have done this.
 1) I added my own text that I have written myself. This is the little bit on the left under the title of the article, where I give an introduction to the guitar. I have also added my own text where I done the specifications of the magazine. 2) Lorem Ipsum. Instead of having to write all my own article out, I have included sample text. This straight away gives the look of hr double page spread covering the topic is on and being packed with information. 

For the images and text to co-operate, I have inserted text wraps around the images. This is where you can see the separation of the words and the pictures. You can notice the text wraps as the words go around the shape of the image and the gap between the words and image shows the shape/ an outline of the image. For example, on this magazine, the words follow the curve of the guitar leaving a gap in between. 


Comments